Chief HR Officer
This job has not posted yet so this is an upcoming
opportunity. Posting this as a favor to my alma mater, which is where the job is. Requires living in western New York state. Contact me
if interested! I cannot speak highly enough of this institution and the quality of life for persons living there.
The Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) reports to the University’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) and is a member of XXX University’s Executive Council. The CHRO provides strategic leadership and direction to all facets of human resource programs at XXX University. S/he oversees the recruitment and development of employees in support of advancing the student experience at XXX University. Critical to this endeavor, the CHRO leads efforts to build an effective workplace culture through employee engagement, retention, and recognition. The CHRO oversees the administration of human resource programs including, but not limited to, employee recruitment and development; employment law; performance management; employee relations; and compensation and benefits.
Essential Functions and Job Responsibilities
- Working closely with the COO to advance the student experience at XXX University through the recruitment and development of faculty and staff.
- Directs the management of XXX University’s human resources department and staff, ensuring that services to all client departments are effective, cohesive, and consistent with the needs and objectives of the client departments while advancing the overall student experience.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range departmental goals, strategic objectives and operating procedures, and institutional employment policies and programs; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness; and undertakes changes required for improvement.
- Researches and recommends the development or revisions to policies/procedures to ensure best practice implementation or compliance; maintains the Support Staff and Administrative Technical Assistant manuals, updating and coordinating publication and distribution to employees.
- Assists the Cabinet with the annual review, preparation, and administration of the University’s compensation program.
- Represents the University in employee- and employment-related legal matters. Consults with legal counsel as appropriate, or as directed by the COO, on personnel matters.
- Partners with department heads, deans, and executive management to assist them with recruiting and developing employees; carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters; conducting disciplinary meetings; and implementing Performance Improvement Plans and terminations.
- Develops and maintains human resource information systems that meet the University’s personnel information needs.
- Collaborates with the accident investigator on Worker’s Compensation Claims; acts as Claim Coordinator for the Worker’s Compensation Trust.
- Acts as the University’s Plan Sponsor and co-fiduciary for TIAA Retirement; reconcile payroll contributions and upload remittance files to Plan website.
- Organizes and implements educational programs, mandatory training, wellness events, employee recognition activities, engagement surveys, and other events/programs related to the development and effective engagement of XXX University’s employees.
- Recruiting activities including but not limited to posting job vacancies, reviewing candidates for consideration by search committees, performing pre-screening calls, interviews, and meetings with candidates as requested and reviews/authorizes contracts with advertising agencies.
- Manage Human Resources (HR) staff. Prepares various reports and documents for payroll and Workers’ Compensation audits, annual payroll forecasting, Form 5500 filing, Employee Giving, and so on.
- Complete annual Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) HR reporting and other state or federal required reporting. Report on staffing, succession planning, and personnel transitions to executive leadership.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures University’s compliance; anticipates legislation and advises management of needed actions.
- Oversee the development and administration of employee health and welfare and benefits programs.
- Represents the University in periodic negotiations with the CSEA. Responsible for overseeing contract compliance.
- Responsible for overseeing the administration of immigration matters for both sectors. Includes being familiar with immigration law, and researching and addressing unique circumstances. Act as “Responsible Officer” for all SEVIS related activities and manage “Alternate Responsible Officers”, prepare and submit annual reports to Dept of State, etc.
- Disputes NYS Unemployment Compensation claims as necessary.
- Manages COBRA and retiree health insurance billings.
- Reviews and approves tuition waiver applications.
- Assist HR staff and act as backup of administrative employee services as needed including onboarding, payroll processing, leave administration, and so on.
- Assist with the development and implementation of effective remote work policies.
- Schedule, participate in, and/or lead employee committees as requested by the COO such as the Benefits Committee.
Chief HR Officer
|Posting Start Date:
- Master’s degree in business, human resource management, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of seven years of experience directly related to the specified essential functions and responsibilities.
- Minimum of five years of supervisory experience required.
- SHRM Certified Professional preferred.
- Strong communication and team-playing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to inspire trust across a broad-ranging employee base and to build an effective workplace culture.
- Demonstrates a high degree of confidentiality in interpersonal interaction.
- Track record of strategic thinking and effective execution of identified strategies.
||This listing expires on: 2/6/2023